If you have heart failure, changes in the pressure of blood through your pulmonary artery (PA) can indicate worsening heart failure—even before you notice symptoms such as shortness of breath or weight gain. The CardioMEMS™ HF System features a small pressure-sensing device that is implanted directly into your pulmonary artery during a commonly performed procedure. Without needing to visit the clinic or hospital, it regularly sends information wirelessly to to your cardiologist, and we can use the information to adjust your medications and treatment plan, if needed.
The CardioMEMS HF System is the first and only clinically proven heart failure monitor system to significantly reduce heart failure hospital admissions and improve quality of life. CardioMEMs HF System has reduced hospital admissions by 58% over an average of 12 months.
Did you know?
- Each time you are hospitalized for heart failure, your heart is damaged, which may contribute to your heart failure worsening.
- Repeat hospitalizations for heart failure remain a strong predictor of illness and death for heart failure patients.
What are the benefits of the CardioMEMS HF System?
- Our heart failure team can access your sensor information without you having to visit the clinic or hospital. The system regularly sends information wirelessly and takes less than a minute.
- It is simple and easy to use.
- The sensor does not need a battery or replaceable parts.
How does the CardioMEMS HF System Work?
The CardioMEMS™ HF system measures your pulmonary artery pressure and heart rate through a sensor that is implanted in your pulmonary artery (the blood vessel that moves blood from your heart to your lungs). Once the device is implanted, you take daily pressure readings from the comfort of your home and wirelessly transmit the data to your doctor for continuous monitoring.The sensor is small and does not require any batteries or wires. You will not feel it, and it will not interfere with your daily activities or other implanted devices such as a pacemaker or defibrillator.
The system includes an at-home electronics unit that you use to take the daily measurements. This is a simple and painless process that takes under a minute each day.
Am I Eligible?
If you have significant limitations even with mild activity, such as walking - causing shortness of breath, palpitations and exhaustion; this procedure may be for you.
Patients who most commonly receive the CardioMEMS HF System are those on good treatment and those who exhibit any of the following:
- Fluid volumes that are hard to know or manage
- Challenging physical assessment
- If a patient with Heart Failure withPreserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF) or Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction (HFrEF)
- Compliant with heart failure medical care
- Would benefit from remote monitoring if they live far from a clinic
Is this procedure covered by insurance?
The procedure and monitoring fees are covered by Medicare and some private insurances . As of now, the procedure is not covered by Medicaid.
Our pre-authorization team will make sure that the procedure charges are covered by your healthcare insurance before scheduling the procedure