Thank you for choosing Iowa Heart Center for your health care needs. We believe there are several important things you should know about your financial responsibilities when receiving medical care. Please consult this guide for information regarding our billing process.
The clinics listed below are hospital provider-based outpatient departments of MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. Please see our PROVIDER-BASED HOSPITAL OUTPATIENT BILLING INFO
MercyOne Iowa Heart Center Des Moines
411 Laurel Street, Suites A250 & 1225
Des Moines, IA 50314
MercyOne Iowa Heart Center West Des Moines
5880 University Ave.
West Des Moines, IA 50266
MercyOne Iowa Heart Center Ankeny
800 E. First St., Ste 2600
Ankeny, IA 50021
MercyOne Ames Sleep Center
1816 Philadelphia Street
Ames, IA 50010
- At initial registration, you will be asked to:
- Provide a current insurance card or information about your current insurance company.
- Sign an Assignment of Insurance Benefits form. This form allows Iowa Heart Center to file with your insurance carrier and have your carrier make payments directly to us.
- Sign a HIPAA Privacy statement, which acknowledges that you have been provided with this information. As a courtesy, we will file your insurance claims and attempt to obtain referrals and/or authorizations. Be aware, you are ultimately responsible for payment of services provided.
- Allow us to take your picture.
Iowa Heart Center requests the patient portion of charges be paid at the time of registration. The amount you pay varies depending on your insurance coverage.
- Most insurance policies require patients to pay a deductible and percentage of the remaining cost of services (co-payments). If possible, we will inform you of the approximate amount you will owe, and arrange for payments.
- Iowa Heart Center accepts personal checks, cash, MasterCard, Visa and Discover.
- If you have an online web account with us, you may pay your bill online. (Ensure you register your account as a patient and not a normal web user.)
Insurance companies do not always pay for all the medical services you receive. You will be responsible for payment of any services not covered by your insurance policy.
- Iowa Heart Center will bill Medicare on your behalf for services rendered.
- For your convenience, your supplemental carrier will be billed for any balance following Medicare's payment.
- You are responsible for any applicable deductibles, co-payments or other amounts not paid by Medicare or your supplemental insurance if you have one.
- We require all Medicaid patients to present their current eligibility card at the time of registration. Without verification of coverage, you will be responsible for your account.
- We will bill Medicaid when all necessary information has been provided.
- You are responsible for non-covered portions and additional requirements associated with your individual coverage.
- You are responsible for all co-payments.
- We will bill your insurance carrier if you have provided us with all necessary policy information.
- In the absence of necessary billing information, you will be responsible for payment of your entire account.
- In the event your insurance carrier is not prompt in making payment, Iowa Heart Center may need your assistance in contacting your carrier for payment.
- In cases where the services have not been paid, you will be personally responsible for the bill.
- You are responsible for following your employer's process for work related injuries.
- As a courtesy, Iowa Heart Center will bill your employer for work comp visits, but will not become involved in disputes between you and your company other than to supply factual information.
Third Party Liability
- If you have been injured in some manner, whether automobile accident, fall, etc., another party may have some legal responsibility for your injuries. Although this is a matter between you, your attorney, and the party responsible for the injury, Iowa Heart Center will bill on your behalf to the carrier you provide.
- If you are a Medicare or Medicaid recipient, health care laws require that we bill the liability carrier first, then Medicare or Medicaid.
- If you have an online web account with us, you may view your statements online. (Ensure you register your account as a patient and not a normal web user.)
- As a service to our patients, Iowa Heart Center will file your primary insurance according to the information provided to us at registration.
- Normally, the insurance carrier will send an explanation of benefits explaining what they have paid and what the patient's portion is to pay.
- After the insurance company has paid their portion of the bill:
- You will receive a statement from Iowa Heart Center.
- This statement will be mailed to the person responsible for payment, or the guarantor.
- Any balance pending with your insurance carrier will not be represented on the billing statement.
- Statements are mailed every 28 days.
- Payments received from you are posted to the oldest balance first.
- Once a charge is paid in full the item will drop off the statement.
- If you are unable to pay the balance in full, please call our customer service number to set-up a payment arrangement.
- Accounts that become delinquent may be forwarded to an outside collection agency for further collection activity.
If you receive either inpatient or outpatient hospital services you will receive a separate bill from the hospital. Iowa Heart Center bills for the physician services only.
Iowa Heart Center has trained financial counselors available to discuss your individual needs for:
- Paying your portion of the bill (due to being uninsured).
- Making payment arrangements.
- Reviewing your eligibility for Iowa Heart Center's financial assistance program.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your billing or financial arrangements, please contact Customer Services at (515) 633-3800 or toll free at (888) 884-8286.